There will be times where you will need your car transported in the winter months. There are some things that you can do to your car in order to make sure it makes it to the destination safely.
- 4WD- If you have it, use it. Also make sure it is in working condition before the winter season hits. It will greatly improve your traction on snowy roads.
- Belts and Hoses- Make sure all belts and hoses are properly connected and in working order. If you need to take your vehicle to a mechanic do it, better to be safe than sorry.
- Wipers and Wiper Fluid- they have specific wipers for winter, use them! You also won’t regret changing your washer fluid to one that will hold up to cold weather better.
- Heating- Make sure all heating and defrosting units are properly functioning. There is nothing worse than having to drive in a cold car on a cold day to work.
- Antifreeze- Yes the name is elf explanatory, it is to stop your radiator from freezing, make sure you have the proper ratio of water to antifreeze, if possible get premixed solution to ensure it is correct.
- Oil- Make sure you check your oil and ensure you have enough to keep your engine properly functioning.
- Battery- batteries last 3-5 years, if you are in that window you will want to have it checked to make sure it doesn’t need replacing.
- Tires- In cold weather tires pressure can go down so make sure your tires are properly inflated. Also put some thought into snow tires for the season, they may be worth the investment if they keep you from getting into an accident.